Alternative methods to decrease HTTP traffic

Jul 7, 2008 at 10:15 PM
Edited Jul 7, 2008 at 10:16 PM
Before using an HTTP compression module, consider configuring IIS to enable HTTP compression:

Also, if you are using AJAX and web services, client-side caching can dramatically improve performance and decrease network traffic:
Jul 10, 2008 at 1:33 PM
The main target of this project is for people that using share hosting and don't have control over the  IIS.
The AJAX stuff you pointed to, have nothing to do with the compression library.
Jan 7, 2009 at 3:38 PM
Hi Miron,

Do I need to enable the HTTP Compression on the server ?

I have access to our server

Also, I want to know the cache location ?  (browser or Server directory location).

I am using Telerik third party controls.

Jan 9, 2009 at 2:12 PM
@varaprasad,
If you use MbCompression, you MUST NOT enable the compression on the server!
About the cache location, the static files (css, js, webresource.axd) are being cache on the client side always, and in the server side, you can
choose if you want to cache them in the Output cache, or as archives on the file system.
If you will look in the file 'readme.txt' in the source code, you will see some more explenation about how to configure it.
Be sure that you are using the latest code from the Source code tab, and not the release one.
Miron
Jan 21, 2009 at 1:02 PM
Hi Miron,

Can you tell me how to delete the compressed JS and CSS files.

I  have looked in  C:\WINDOWS\IIS Temporary Compressed Files for the compressed .axd files. But, after goggling, I have found that the .axd files will be generated on the fly.

But, a particular script file like the below one is giving me invalid script files every time I load the page.

# http://localhost/PMS/Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource.axd?_TSM_HiddenField_=ctl00_scPMS_HiddenField&compress=1&_TSM_CombinedScripts_=%3b%3bSystem.Web.Extensions%2c+Version%3d3.5.0.0%2c+Culture%3dneutral%2c+PublicKeyToken%3d31bf3856ad364e35%3aen-GB%3a94b8a2b4-5efc-4f4c-9641-d912b698978d%3a52817a7d%3a67c678a8

Is there anyway to remove the compressed JS and CSS files?

Jan 25, 2009 at 5:50 PM
As you mention, the css and js are been compressed 'on the fly' and you don't have from where to remove it.
Use the last source code from the source tab and read carefully the 'readme.txt' that inside the source.
If you still have problems, let me know.